7.6.12

Time In Mind


Chapter 1

Pain etched his brow. His eyelashes flickered. A pulsating light pierced his dilated pupils. His lips were stained a deep rouge. His skin stretched across his cheek bones threatening to tear. He laid there. Still

Chapter 2

I had always wondered what it was like to be trapped in a deep sleep. What it would be like to roam ones mind aimlessly. I suppose today I got my wish.

When I woke up today I had awoken something deep within me. Something fierce and threatening. Without realizing it I poured myself a glass of orange juice and had consumed the entire glass within seconds. I felt ravenous and yet sick. Sliding my hand into the bread bag I pulled out a slice of bread and popped it into the toaster. This would have to do.

On the way to the door a creek echoed in the hall. I spun around but found I was alone. Shaking my head I pushed the paranoia back down to the pit of my stomach and continued on. I am always alone. Why would there be someone there? I thought.

There was a dull ache in my right temple. I had probably smashed it without thinking off the bedpost or something of the likes. Or maybe there was a cancerous tumor starting to eat its way through my flesh to expose its obesity and grotesque self. Pulsating like a heart and oozing a pink cream like substance. I chuckled to myself at the thought. If only.

Chapter 3

I slammed the door as I always did when I had to get up at 5:00AM. I thought the neighbours appreciated it. Of course that’s probably why they glare at me when I come home every evening or never clean up their dog shit off my lawn, or their own shit for that matter. The shot gun would fix that I suppose but I'm afraid I'm just too far North for that.

Passing by the dull houses which aligned the unfortunate street I lived on I kicked a few misguided rocks. Walking was the pits but it made me keep on the boarder of being morbidly obese, just under in fact. Of course if you asked any of the people in this small town they would tell you they are surprised I didn’t float away. Under their breath they would add “of course I wish he would.” The place I was going was only about 37 blocks from my house. Only.

Maybe I should skip the rest of the way? Or I could just continuously give the neighbourhood the finger and frown, that would downsize the amount of calories that where in that single toast I ate I'm sure. I’d much prefer that anyways.

Billyjanedoefuckhead passed by… Bill for short. “Hows the genital warts coming along Bill?” I asked sarcastically. He scoffed and brushed by hitting my shoulder on the way. I spun around “oh baby you know how I like it” I taunted. His retort was something along the lines of “fuck off and die”. I told him I’d be glad too with a devious smirk.

A black cat crossed my path, I called out to it and knelt down to stroke its shiny fur. It purred loudly and nudged my hand. “How’s it going Thirteen?” He meowed in response. I continued on my way. His name wasn’t really Thirteen I just thought it was ironic that everyone thought he was bad luck. Might as well make him double trouble right? At least that was my logic.

Chapter 4

Finally I had made it to my destination. Across town, skid row, if you will. This is where I worked. What’s my job you may be wondering? I shoveled shit for a living. Alright I suppose that’s a bit unfair. I make sure all the “precious” people in my town have fresh grass to lay every year. Rich sons of a bitches. Instead of you know taking care of their lawns yearly they decide every spring to just lay new slabs down. If you don’t participate in this ritual of sorts, you’re shunned. I'm sure you can guess where I fit into this town by now.

It’s not so bad, the job I mean. I'm alone most of the day except for when the boss comes along to sniff the grass and chew on the tips of each batch. It’s a fetish I'm sure of it. Not much goes into making grass, the basics stuffed with a shit ton of non organic chemicals but no one knows that. As long as it looks good who cares right?

Seven hours a day I spend there. It seems like seconds. Just turn on the auto pilot switch. Today was a bit different however. I slipped out of my street clothing, noting I need to get some new underwear at some point, moths plagued this town. Maybe it was the new revelation in the Bible. I zipped up my work jeans and slipped on a loose old Rock T shirt I had deemed a work shirt just to annoy the people I worked with. They hated anything that had to do with anything. What else was new though?

I tapped a scuffed boot on the side of my locker to close it and headed for my work station. Injecting chemicals into grass seeds was not how I envisioned my future. Though I suppose we never really envision ourselves become prostitutes or burnt out abused wives. Life’s tough and we never seem to end up where we want to be. I guess halfway is better than no way at all. Sometimes I wonder if I’d prefer no way. Seems like it would give you a lot of opportunity to choose whatever way you wanted, but that’s another story.

The day went by smoothly enough. I got in my quota of injections and I'm sure the boss got in his quota as well, not quite the same however. I also got my fill of blank stares and dirty looks, it’s to be expected when you’re the towns black sheep. Even the low lives on skid row seemed to look down upon me. I paid them no heed however. What did I care if I didn’t fit in to their world? I didn’t want to anyways.
Chapter 5

Strangely enough on the way home I caught a glimpse of my favorite person. His name is Luke. His hair fell just below he's shoulders and shimmered a rustic colour in the day light. Most people would mistake it for a dull brown but often many don’t see the intricate beauties in small simple things. His eyes were an olive shade with a splash of sage streaking outwards from the pupil. He was a fairly thin man but very tough. You wouldn’t want to meet him in a dark alleyway that’s for certain. He moved swiftly and yet with manly grace.

Much like myself, he was an outcast. Neither of us fit in this town and yet we stayed. Maybe we were drawn to the oddities in life. Maybe we enjoyed being alone and feared. Maybe we were sick fucks trying to weave webs of entanglement to capture the strange and unusual. Regardless of why we were here, the fact of the matter is that we are.

I’d never gotten a chance to talk to him for more than five minutes. He is 3 years older than me and extremely Antisocial. He never attended anything that wasn’t mandatory and hardly ever attended functions that were. He's lucky he had graduated high school though I'm sure he was smart enough. You know you’re an outcast when you don’t even belong with the outcasts in school.

Isolation was something we both had in common. It’s too bad he didn’t care enough to realize we were one and the same.

Chapter 6

Sighing I climbed my front steps and unlocked my door. The key assaulted the lock harshly and made the other keys dance and smash together. Turning the handle I stepped inside. A feeling of dread washed over me. There was probably something I had forgotten to do and now it was fermenting beneath the kitchen sink. Mutating into something hideous that would wander the night and devour innocent victims with ravaged claws and hunger beyond ones imagination.

I ran my tongue along my bottom lip and bit down with excitement. I pulled the cupboard door open nearly yanking it off its hinges. I knelt down. Disappointment sank my stomach in a pool of acid. I kicked it closed and walked to the fridge. Staring in blankly I pulled out some leftovers and tossed it into the microwave. Man’s best friend.

After I was finished eating I sat on the couch to vegetate. I pictured my brain boiling in spinal cord fluid sparking without ignition. My cerebellum dissolving and my skull bleeding red tinged puss. I pressed the power button with a callused finger and switched off the idle lamp. It sizzled. It must have burnt out just as I had switched it off. I shrugged.

Flicking through the channels I found nothing of interest. I decided to call it quits. It was getting late anyways. Almost 1:00 AM. Just as I had gotten up to head to the bedroom a knock sounded at my front door. Curiosity made my stomach flutter and a tingling sensation danced along my spine. I glanced at the time once again to make sure I wasn’t mistaken. 1:00 AM it was. I tiptoed towards the door nearly skipping with excitement.

Chapter 7

I opened the door cautiously and stood in the doorway stunned. “Uh hi, I know we haven’t really talked all that much but um I was wondering if you could, may I come in?”
“Sure…” I stated. I shook my head ruffling my hair. “Come on in Luke.”
“Thanks.”
I lead him to the couch. He sat down heavily. The chair he had chosen appeared to swallow him whole. Its black surface made his pale skin stand out however. His jaded eyes gleamed. He blinked a few times hard. I noticed his extenuated eyelashes and found myself staring intently.

He glanced up just then. “I'm sorry for intruding at such a late hour, but I figured you were still awake. A night owl right?” He chuckled lifelessly.
“Yeah, I suppose I am. What can I do you for Luke?” I questioned
“Ah, well you see.” He paused. “This is strange I guess, though maybe you wont find it quite so.”
I listened intently trying to gauge his actions and emotions. He looked run down yet there was a spark of life still left in his eyes. Tension seemed to line his shoulders and he sat awkwardly. Maybe it was the dull lighting. I cursed the lamp light for burning out. Only the light of the kitchen lit the darkened room.
“Sorry about the light.” I said without thinking.
He tilted his head for a moment, confusion etched his brow. He only nodded in response.
“Do you think our minds work as one? I mean to power something bigger than us. All of us put together would be a powerful force.” Luke noted.
I glanced at him as I genuinely thought about his question. “I suppose, but we are all so different how is it possible we would be able to control something without having conflicting feelings and wishes?”
“But aren’t we all the same when it comes down to it? We are creatures who are savage. Blood thirsty beings that will stop at nothing to obtain what we desire.”
“We all have our basic human instincts of course. I'd like to think we have evolved, if only slightly, enough to push those desires beneath our skins for the duration of our existence.” I murmured.
“Hmmmm” was Luke’s response.

Distantly I gazed out the window. I was lost in thought for a few moments. “Why?” The single word slithered between my lips and out of my mouth reverberating against the cold bleak walls.
I felt dazed as though I was on some powerful sedatives. I fought to keep his eyes open though it was still early in his eyes.
I had forgotten Luke was present until he shuffled in his seat uncomfortably startling me to my senses. Luke’s sharp eyes pierced me with his gaze.
Slowly I felt myself begin to drift. The lids of my eyes sluggishly closed as if they were doors in a horror movie creaking shut. My lips and throat suddenly became dry. My limbs lay lifelessly beside my body. I sunk into the couch my breath became shallow. Finally I drifted into a deep sleep.

Chapter 8

He felt as though he could not control his body when he awoke. His eyes fluttered open on their own and he noticed his vision was blurred. His eyelids refused to respond at any attempts to squint or blink them. Panic struck him hard like a fuel injected fire furiously burning its way through his insides making him break out into a cold sweat. Why am I unable to move any part of my body? He thought helplessly. Bile climbed his throat threatening to spill over his lips, down his chin and drip grotesquely to his chest. My lips. He thought. They don’t feel the same, they feel as though they are not mine. Foreign. He attempted to wiggle his fingers. Nothing.

Distantly he heard a moan. It sounded like it was coming from inside of him. He heard Luke’s voice. “Jeff are you awake?” Jeff winced. You’re talking too loud Luke he thought. He felt his body rise from the couch and shake something. What am I doing? I didn’t tell my body to move and what am I shaking? He thought frantically. A second ago I couldn’t control any part of my body what’s going on? He felt dizzy and as though he was floating instead of walking. His body jutted forward, stopped sharply and swayed from side to side. Am I drunk? He pondered curiously.

Finally his vision sharpened. His pupils contracted and dilated slowly as if one was turning the focus on a camera. What he saw shocked him beyond belief. He saw himself.

Chapter 9

A cold and distant look in his eyes sent shivers down… whose spine? He wondered. Surely not mine. His mind was racing attempting to digest the carnivorous seed that had planted itself deep within his brain tissue.
He bit his lip. “Ow!” Luke mumbled. Jeff had been able to take over Luke’s body for just a moment. Surprise loomed over his mind.
I'm sorry he thought hoping Luke could somehow hear him.
“Its okay, but… what’s happened?” Luke questioned.
I'm not sure… Jeff thought.

Luke began to sweat profusely. “It’s happened Jeff… It’s really happened.” He feverantly spoke. His words skipping over another much like a game of leap frog once played as a young child. His mind boiled and sloshed around in the attempts to gain control and understanding of the situation presented.
Jeff’s mind was equally twisted into tangled up knots. Tugging at the roots making them ache and bleed as the flesh tore the more he thought.

Chapter 10

A distant cackle rang in their ears. The front door swung open slowly yet hard, riding the hinges and making them spark. A powerful stench filled the air and knocked Luke’s body back. He stumbled and gripped the mantel tightly. His pink flesh turned a sickened white. Veins erupted in his arm shattering the muscle and soaking the bone in hot liquid. Pain registered in the depths of his eyes. Despite his efforts he stumbled to the ground and laid there. Still.

Swirls of smoke lingered inches above the hardwood floor. Slowly a darkness crept into the hall. More cackles could be heard. They came from deep within this creature and escaped its throat acidicly. The creatures voice rang out stinging their ears.
“What… have we here?” The creatures voice was foreign and the words were spat out awkwardly with a ripe amount of deviousness. It was a mere whisper however it struck both the men slithering down their spines and eating away at their intestines.

The cracking of bones could be heard as the creature stepped closer. Jeffs body lay limp and lifeless. The creatures head tilted slowly and disjointedly as its hollow eyes took in the sight. A rumbling rose beneath the creature’s tattered robe.

Jeff thought he could see a smirk upon the creature’s thick grey lips but his mind refused to believe. He slowly ran his eyes along the creature’s body. This took great courage but somehow Jeff mustered it. The creatures robe flared open at the neck and down its chest. Jagged scars could be seen along its chest that seemed to be dancing as though they too were alive.
The creature stood quite tall however it appeared that the creature had no spine and so it leaned back a bit too far for Jeff’s liking. Not that he liked having this creature show up at his door of course.
The smoke encircled and licked at the creatures legs. A foul wind fluttered the tattered hems of its robe. A loose frayed rope clung to the creature’s waist though it did not hold the ensemble together as well as Jeff would have liked.
Finally Jeff’s eyes, or are they Luke’s? Jeff wondered. Rested at the creature’s hips. The creature was indeed male. Jeff could not take his eyes off of the creature’s grotesquely large cock. Though it was paled a light grey the veins throbbed a shady pink. It was fully erect as though the creature got quite a bit of excitement from this game he was about to play. It peaked out from beneath the robe mockingly. The tip seemed to dance in tune to a silent song.
The creature followed Luke and Jeff’s gaze. A horrifying laugh built and spilled out of the creature’s mouth.
“Is it to your liking?” The creature spoke in a husky voice much different from that of its voice only moments ago. The creature opened its mouth and ran its slimy black tongue across its fangs. It pressed hard against the sharpest of them and cut open its tongue. Blood oozed out and dripped down his chiseled chin.

Chapter 11

At that moment skittering and scattering could be heard in the distance. It rumbled and got louder. Something’s coming Jeff and Luke thought simultaneously. Around the corner came the first of many.

Rotting corpses crawled on their backs. Their bones disjointed and splintered. They moved quickly as though with purpose, like they were being called upon to rise from the depths of hell. From the most gruesome and ghastly corners spawned from curdling blood and the flesh of the innocent as feed. Fluid oozed out of every orifice and dripped mockingly on the hard wood floors.

Their tongues darted out feasting on each other. Their cold hollow eyes examined Luke and Jeff’s souls. Slithering they came closer. A few of them stayed behind and eagerly glanced up at the creature, they must have been waiting for their cue, I'm not sure since I was much too busy staring intently at the others climbing on top of my lifeless body. Their rotten flesh caressed my skin. Their nails dug in and drew beading strands of blood. The lapped at the wounds with their snake like tongues tongues. My clothes began to mold and crumble to my sides off of my body.

Finally I lay there naked. The creature took two strides to reach my body. He looked down mockingly. A fierce laugher bubbled deep in his throat. Cackles could be heard from his minions and the two sounds collided erotically with one another. It was like sweet torment to my ears. Blood rushed through my body pumping rhythmically.

The creature lifted his arm slowly. A boney hand outstretched through the tattered robe. He ran a razor sharp nail along my cheek. The minions backed away and hissed in unison. The creature’s eyes darted around piercingly. His finger continued down my neck and across my chest. The palm of his hand rested against my chest directly over my heart. A slow pain crept into my mind.

Luke began to breathe heavily, his pulse erratically racing. In my mind I could feel these things Luke’s body was feeling. We were desperately entwined with no hope and at the mercy of this creature. Slowly I began to feel my body die. My organs churned flipping upside down and inside out. My stomach was yanked by my intestines and swirled into a neat ball at my body’s core. My veins began to burst under immense pressure. Every orifice began to bleed a lethargic red river oozing out and pooling in the empty crevices. Muscle spasms made my flesh crawl and twitch.

My body was crushed into a small triangular shape that fit in the palm of the creatures boney hand. He looked at his work in what seemed like mock despair. Blood mixed with stomach acid and other various fluids leaked between his fingers and fell perilously to the floor. His tongue darted out and tasted my crushed body. I felt a shiver lurch through my spine. How is this possible? I wondered. How is any of this possible? My mind countered. I sighed.

Chapter 12

Luke’s body shivered violently. His mind seemed to be taking all this worse than mine. I tried to sooth Luke, why I'll never understand. “Luke I'm not sure what’s going on but calm down we can’t show him we are fearful, it gives him pleasure. Too much in fact.” Luke’s breathing slowed as though I had gotten through to him.
“I know.” Was his only reply.

The creature flung my triangulated body against the wall and swung abruptly towards Luke’s body. He took a giant step towards us and knelt down all in the same movement. This startled Luke and he sank deeper into the couch. He had regained some control of his body it appeared. “Run.” I screamed inside Luke’s head. He stayed put, apparently transfixed on the creatures gaze.

“So it is you, Attila” The creature spoke in awe. Luke and I were both confused beyond belief.
“I killed your body. I've killed so many my Master, looking for you. So many tortured indignant screams I bore to find you.” It said.
“Why didn’t you call for me?” The creature said with a sudden flash of rage. An extremely hurt look etched the creatures features.

Suddenly Jeff saw what the creature had meant and knew exactly what to do. Jeff gained control of his friends body and spoke aloud. “It is I.” Jeff paused for a moment. “You needed to prove yourself, it is why I did not call. I should chastise you for you’re irrational thoughts.” Jeff spoke. For once in his life his found sounded sturdy and sure. “My Master, I-”
“No.” Jeff stated firmly. “My body is no use to me now and I do not desire another.”
“I.. I'm sorry my Master.” The creature stammered.
“You’ll pay later. This body will have to do. I've left my memories in the other body you’ve been so quick to destroy. You’ll have to explain quite a bit to me again.”
“Of course my Master. I'm terribly sorry. Please have mercy.”
“We shall see how much mercy you deserve. Now, let me get used to this body.” Jeff stood up and used Luke’s body as his own. This took amazing strength both mental and physical. Luke was helping some. I think he knew where I was going with this. Or at least I hoped. Jeff stretched Luke’s arms and bent each knee a few times, he also threw in a couple knuckle cracks just for performance purposes.

“Master, you’ll have to terminate the creature inside of this body.” The creature said softly.
“I do not wish to quite yet. He is at bay, do you doubt my power?” Jeff said in mock anger hoping it would convince the creature.
“Of course not Master, no… never.” It hurried to convince.
I nodded. I boldly took a step towards the creature. I knew what I had to do.
“Your body. Its mine. I want your body.”
“You… my body?” The creature said shocked. Id tipped him off balance. Perfect.
“Yes.” I said simply.
“Yes.” The creature replied. It looked down and to the side. Of course I couldn’t take this creatures body. It had me all wrong. I have and continue to have no idea how I was still living after the creature destroyed my body. But I did. I gripped the mantle with one hand. Slipped it across 5 or 6 inches and grabbed the cast iron poker that I always kept up there because I was too cheap to by a stand. With all my strength and Luke’s too we swung. The poker smashed into the creature’s temple and dug in. I yanked it out and drew it back again but there was no need. The creature’s body slowly slipped to the floor. It landed on its knees and sunk slowly into the floor boards. Ash became of the creatures skin and seeped into the cracks in the floor boards. All the minions skittered away.

Chapter 13

Luke and I were left in an empty and hollow house. The sound of the night screamed loudly in our ears having been muted for what seemed like hours but was only 13 seconds. Time is a strange thing. I thought fleetingly. “Indeed it is.” Luke responded to my thought. “Indeed it is.”